Home

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Little Things



Recently I have noticed the little things in life that matter. I realized how much I took for granted in life. My living situation right now is very close to camping with the exception of spotty electricity and running water. You don’t realize what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone” has never been more evident in my life. On Saturday I did my weekly washing. I have never been more thankful for washing machines and dryers. It took me around 2 hours to wash and hang my small pile of clothes. Preparing any type of food is a chore, not to mention the time spent bartering at the market and figuring out what food is available. Here in the Wiamoase region the roads are all gravel and filled with potholes. Thinking back on it, I find it silly that I complained about construction and traffic. I am able to drive around smooth paved roads where traffic patterns are followed and enforced. At home I am so blessed to have clean running water around me all the time. The Lord has blessed me in ways I don’t even realize. In Wiamoase majority of the people have never experienced the technological advances that I have available at the tips of my fingers. Yet generally they seem happy and satisfied with their situation. What we have sacrificed for our development is stark. Not everyone wants to develop the way America has. We feel sorry for the under developed countries because we think they lack so much. But what are they lacking? I’m aware that there are people in under developed countries dying from starvation everyday but there are so many other towns where they get by with what they have. They use the resources around them and survive. They may lack our washing machines, healthcare advances, and TVs but we lack the personal connections with others when we become obsessed with our technology. We take our health care, education, government, and houses for granted. If anything we complain about most things. We must remember that although under developed countries may lack the luxury items we have, it does not mean that they wish they had all of the machines crowding up their house and lives. I have this unique opportunity to experience another culture that many Americans won’t ever have. Already I have learned to keep things in perspective, be grateful for what I have, and recognize some of the more important things in life.

1 comment: