Home

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 16


Best day yet? Today I ran into DJ Daniel’s friend and told him I don’t want any announcements made. He said he would pass the message along which I doubt happened but he was more sober than I’ve ever seen Daniel so there was a small chance of hope this party won’t happen. I made it to the clinic around 8 so Vicky, Abraham, and I could go to Kumasi together. I’m getting used to riding in bumpy tro-tros and run down taxis so riding in the nice health clinic car was very fabulous. Vicky and I talked pretty much the whole way to Kumasi mainly about the differences we have found since being here in Ghana. Our first stop was for these bags of crackers that you can buy in bulk. They taste like butter club crackers. We continued talking the whole time while I tried to look around me at everything going on but it’s so hard when you have to focus on not falling in the sewer or tripping over people. Then Vicky brought me to Heaven. This store is nicknamed the Abruni market because its where the white people go for groceries. There was nutella, Oreos, sun chips, dr. pepper, butter, and cheese. I got loads of stuff that should last me awhile. We went down the road and I bought a gift for my little brother and postcards to send to friends and family. (If you want one send me your address!) We then went to a fruit stand about 20 minutes away and I bought bananas. Eight cost only 1 cedi but they’re also only about 5 inches big. Vicky and I continued to talk most of the way home about a number of things before they dropped me off at my house. I dropped off my stuff and made sure that the girls were still in Agona at the Internet Café. They told me they’re going to bring King and Mama Doris over so we can make crepes for my birthday dinner tomorrow! I am so excited to have them over and have a small party. I spent almost 3 hours emailing professors, reading the funniest messages from my best friends, and chatting with Audrey and other friends on Facebook. It makes me sad when I have to leave the café because I know I won’t have contact with them for another week but the stories keep me laughing for the rest of the week. I am definitely out of the honeymoon phase but still loving my time here. I’m learning so much about the culture and myself while I’m here. We made fried plantains for dinner and went to bed pretty early.
Also Happy Birthday to the best older sister ever! Have a great 22nd Birthday in D.C. Audrey, I Love you!
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment