Home

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 10


Today was AMAZING! I had my usual throng of children follow me around Wiamoase as I walked to the clinic to begin my first day of work. Each morning they begin the day with a staff meeting filled with prayer, scriptures, and announcements. The Captain spoke mainly in Twi but she did make a comment that hit a chord with me. She said “Whether you are weeding, scrubbing, cooking, or administrating, in the end it makes a mighty ocean”. Sometimes being a medical professional isn’t the most glamorous job and we have to be ok with doing the dirty work because it’s what needs to be done for the health of the patients. One of the administrators, Vicky, is from the UK and is absolutely hilarious. She has been here for almost a year and is really trying to immerse herself in this culture like I will. She discussed the differences between the cultures and shared some pretty interesting experiences that went on during funerals and weddings in Ghana. I began the day in the Out Patient Department (O.P.D.) recording the numbers of temperature, weight, blood pressure, and pulse. After about 45 minutes the head nurse left to administer immunizations and so I was left to run the O.P.D. on my own. Temperature is taken in the armpit, blood pressure and pulse are taken with an at home machine, and the weight is on a Kilogram scale. I stayed there until the nurse returned around 12. I went to the Antenatal clinic to do some observations with Dr. Kate. I stood in the corner while she evaluated 6 patients one at a time. She palpated the stomachs, told me how far along they were and then proceeded to use an ultrasound machine without the screen I’m used to seeing. They were out of ultrasound gel so she was improvising with petroleum jelly. She told me that Wednesday was for all of the Wiamoase patients, Thursday for surrounding city patients, and Friday for all the 14-24 year old patients. After about 45 minutes I went back to OPD and finished my day taking vitals. My new friend Kosi, the lab technician, kept me company when things got slow. We walked home together while he told me of all the delicious Ghanaian dishes I need to eat before I leave. He offered to come over and teach Cassie and I some dinners. Cassie and I went back out in the town to pick up our dresses and socialize with people.  We met some cocoa farmers playing the fastest game of checkers I’ve ever seen. As we were walking home we heard our names being shouted by little kids but couldn’t see anyone around us. We then looked about 30 feet up in the mango trees and little boys had climbed up there to fetch mangos from the very top. I can’t keep their names straight so whenever I see them I just call them Mango. We came home to attempt at making tomato stew that flopped miserably so we’ll have to keep practicing our cooking. Life is good and I love every minute I have here.

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment