Home

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 15

Today I woke up in a bad mood just thinking about how I don’t think I can do 11 more weeks of this. I slowly got ready for work and headed out around 7:15. I ran into my buddy Kofi and changed my mood immediately. His eyes got huge as he yelled Ama and jumped into my arms to give me the biggest hug ever. It changed the way I was feeling for the rest of the day. We played with his little soccer ball up the hill to the school. Then Afo and his sister held my hand as we walked to their school together. In just half an hour the Lord showed me twice that He is watching over me and He loves me. As I walked into the staff meeting this morning the captain was discussing something in Twi as usual at the staff. Afterwards Vicky came up and told me that she loves having discussions with me because most of the conversations are in broken English or Twi. She’s been here for almost a year so I’m definitely going to use her so she can help me survive here for my short 3 months. The clinic was SLOW. It was a rainy day again so that meant no patients. Three new girls came in from nursing school to do their clinicals for 5 months. They came in the OPD around 10 and told me they would be assisting me all day today. When it was really slow I read my book Pushed by Jennifer Block. It’s an interesting book about the modern realizations of labor and childbirth. Although I think it is completely biased towards completely physiological births and against any use of medicine, it’s a good read. I am reading it for my Women’s health class that I’m taking while here in Ghana. The coursework for the class is very interesting so I’m excited to start it. As I was leaving the clinic Vicky asked me to accompany her to Kumasi tomorrow and I’m so excited to spend most of tomorrow with her! The teenage boys in town asked Cassie and I to come and learn how to dance with them at 4 but Cassie was too busy so I left by myself. On my way I ran into our friend Kwame Samuel that told me his daughter could teach me. He told the bartender next door to put on a good record so we could dance. The girls taught me so many great moves. I  made quite the scene because before I knew it I had an audience of people watching me dance. I told Kwame that I want to do something like this for my birthday party and things sort of got out of control from there. He asked the bartender if we could use the patio for a party on Wednesday and he said it was fine but then he wanted to go into town to tell someone about the party. Later I realized it was  DJ that gives announcements over the radio. I don’t think I realized the magnitude of what would happen if they actually announce it over the radio so I hope I see him tomorrow to tell him not to announce it. I went to the youth group around 7. I watched them play games, learned some Twi, danced, played some instruments, got harassed by the boys, and took pictures. I’m excited to spend tomorrow with Vicky and hope I still get to go to the Internet café before it closes.  

XOXO
Ama
My friends Afo (blue) and Kofi (orange)

1 comment:

  1. I want a video of your dancing with them. PLEASE. And, you'll have to teach me your dance moves when you're back.

    ReplyDelete