Home

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 22


5.21 Day 22
Today I went to Kumasi with Vicky again and we had a splendid time. There was so much traffic that it took about 2 hours to get there. We went to the post office first so I could mail off my postcards then we went to a couple of banks so Vicky could do some things for the clinic. Then we went to the Abruni market where I saw 2 elders standing outside of it. I talked them for a minute before they had to leave. It was then that I realized how I must look right now. I have my cute D.I. clothes on without make-up and a messy hair-do. It would be a scary sight in America. Anyways, we went into the market and I picked up a couple things before we went back to the car to head back to Wiamoase. We stopped by the same fruit stand 20 minutes away from Kumasi. I bought oranges, a watermelon, and bananas. I spent most of the car ride thinking of meals I can prepare with the food from the Abruni market and it’s getting pretty long! I’ll spend tomorrow at the Agona market trying to think of more recipes to come up with. I got dropped off at home around 2 and made lunch for myself. I did a pretty intense workout with many on-lookers again. I wish I knew what my audience thought about me. The kids just stare giggle at my workouts. With the heat and exercising I’m usually dripping with sweat by the end. I showered and spent the next hour talking to Esther and Matilda. Cassie promised her friend Nemo that she would show up to his church’s event being held at the station. There were so many chairs set up but not too many people. There was a live band and stadium lighting all around the place. Within 30 seconds of arriving I had almost 30 kids pulling and grabbing at me. They were screaming, “How are you Abruni”, “Abruni, what is your name”, and “Where do you come from”. It was such a crazy surreal experience. One little kid came running up to me lifting his arms to be picked up. I’ve seen him in the town lots of times before and found out his name is Najo. He was wearing these dirty old overalls without a shirt. He followed me around the rest of the night until the adults told the kids to stop following us around. We literally couldn’t move without causing a massive swarming of the kids. We sat down and listened to the band play before it started pouring down rain. When it rains in Ghana it RAINS. The band didn’t stop playing but we all sought cover under the side porches. My little friend Najo came running up to me asking me to pick him up. I just held him and rocked him until he fell asleep. It was such a tender moment for me I didn’t ever want to let go of him. I just wanted to hold him and cuddle him the whole night. I’m nowhere near having kids of my own but I started thinking about how important families are. I want to be the best possible mothers for my kids and need to be able to raise them in a loving home filled with the gospel. The choices I make now will affect my future family. I got to hold him for an hour or so before we had to leave. I am amazed at the impact kids have on my life. Their unconditional love is so sweet. I reluctantly handed him off to someone else and walked home. I am so blessed that my parents raised me in a loving home and taught me the standards of the church so that I can pass on the same to my kids. Today was filled with so many eye-opening experiences that I am appreciative for.
XOXO
Natalie
My Friend Najo


No comments:

Post a Comment