Home

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 11


Day 2 at the clinic. Today was BUSY because it’s market day so everyone was at the clinic. I assume that most of the patients coming in are for malaria because I saw temperatures around 39.7 degrees Celsius. It must be so miserable for these babies to have fevers in this HOT climate yet you hardly hear any crying. I left the clinic with my friends around 2:15. Cassie and I needed some groceries so we ventured out into the Wiamoase market for the first time alone. This is not a small task for the abrunis. We were on the lookout for any fruits and vegetables. It is very hard to get the necessary components of the food pyramid into our diet. Dairy is non-existent, carbs are abundant, protein intake is manageable, fruits and veggies are ok, and sweets are hard to find. We bought 10 mangos for 50 pesewa ($0.30) 4 HUGE avocados for 1 cedi ($0.60), a pineapple for 2 cedi ($1.20), green bell peppers 2 cedi ($1.20), pasta for 2 cedi ($1.20), and plantains for 3 cedi ($1.80). The traders in the market are so friendly and hilarious. They would leave their stands to help us find mangos or would send their kids to help us find good avocados. I went home and made pasta with tomato stew on top that tasted exactly like spaghetti with red sauce. It’s one thing that I can make here without messing up!

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment