Home

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 47


This morning at the clinic I spent most of it wandering around. I started out talking to Vicky for the last time at the clinic because she’s leaving pretty soon. I wandered around talking to nurses and observing in the dressing room and dispensary. I only stayed for a little while because today I am supposed to go to Agona to meet up with Jackie for lunch. The power has been on and off for the past couple of days due to all of the rainstorms here so I knew using the Internet might not be possible today. I left around noon and didn’t wait long before the taxi was full and we left. Both of the places where we normally get fried rice were out so we had to go to a different lady. We got her rice last weekend at the wedding but it wasn’t very good so we were disappointed. We got it ‘to-go’ which means they put all of it in a plastic bag and hand you a plastic spoon. We walked to the Gentle Spot bar to eat it and each grabbed a coke. The food wasn’t bad so we ate and talked for the next 20 minutes before heading out and praying that the generator would be on at the Internet Café. Unfortunately it wasn’t so we just sat and talked with King for half an hour. Both Jackie and I had A LOT of things to get done at the Internet café so we were pretty bummed out. I had so much to do for my coursework and really wanted to check my email. I learn a lot of life lessons here in Ghana. Life lesson #835 Learn to go with the flow. Sometimes the power is out and your REALLY need to get work done for your research and other classes but it’s not on. So, instead of groaning, laugh about it and figure out another plan. The power was out so I didn’t get to download more coursework and check emails but I did get to talk with Jackie and learn more about her family. I could groan that I didn’t get to use the Internet at all or I can laugh about it and spend the next hour talking to Jackie and King. The day felt like it was wasted, but was it really? Just because I didn’t cross things off of my to-do list doesn’t mean I wasted the day. I got to further my relationship with people and not worry too much about my research. We left the Internet café and got fan-milks before departing ways. The power was still out in Wiamoase. I used up the rest of my laptop battery doing what coursework I could before it completely died. Cassie and I went to talk to Madam Esther and Grace for a little while. I adore those two. Cassie wanted to show them the Kente smock that she had just bought. They wanted to show us all of their kente cloth smocks and had quite a few to show for it. The funniest thing happened when Grace slipped her hands into the pocket of one of the dresses she was show us and pulled out 1 cedi. It was in her mom’s dress so she said finder’s keepers and put the money in her pocket. She decided to check the other dress pockets without any luck. When she checked her own dress pockets she said “I don’t know why I even check these pockets, I don’t have any money”. She is such a typical University graduate. Cassie and I made rice and used some of the leftover red sauce from yesterday for dinner. The power came on while we were cooking so we quickly charged our computers and finished up more of our coursework. I was so disappointed that I didn’t get to workout with Grace because of the rain but there’s always another day.
XOXO           
Ama 

No comments:

Post a Comment