Home

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 43



I got a later start at the clinic so rounds were over when I got there but I went to the dispensary and my good friend Rita was there and very happy to see me. I interviewed her for my women’s health class for BYU about what she thinks is the top three health concerns for women in Ghana. I spent the next 30 minutes asking other nurses and workers what they think. I got a variety of answers but enough to narrow it down to the top 3.  Isaac came in and said it was a very busy day and that he needed an extra pair of hands to help so I gladly went in to consultations to help him. He spent the next 6 hours diagnosing a continuous stream of patients. I don’t mind sitting there all day recording the information because it’s something to do. A lot of the patients were at the clinic for malaria but there were a lot of different cases too. My favorite part of the day was this little boy playing peek-a-boo behind Isaac’s desk with me. He had the biggest eyes and cutest giggle. I love all the little babies at the clinic. However, it still surprises me how carefree the women are with breastfeeding. I have seen more breasts in these past 6 weeks than I ever care to see again in my life. Women walk around with their baby latched on to their exposed chest all the time. At first it was kind of awkward but now it’s just the way of life. We didn’t finish consultations until around 2:30. I went around the clinic to find anyone else working to interview them also for my Women’s Health class and got another variety of answers. My walk home is usually at the same time as when the kids get out of school but today it was very quiet because most of the kids were already at home. I have learned that the only excuse to not talk to someone is if you tell them you are going home to eat. Going to the clinic I repeat me ko adwuma (I am going to work) or me ko ayaresabea (I am going to the clinic) and on my way home I repeat me ko fie (I am going home) or me ko didi (I am going to eat). It never ceases to put a smile on their faces when they hear the obruni speaking Twi. Once I was home I made some rice for lunch and watched a couple episodes of friends. I did my note taking and journal writing but couldn’t stand sitting anymore so I did my workout for the day. I am very thankful for gyms, medicine balls, and dumbbells. Using big water bottles and a rock for weights gets pretty interesting sometimes. My rock is starting to chip away, usually right in my face, so I’ll be in the market for a new rock soon. I got into the shower which is also a little bit of a workout on it’s own. The water is usually too cold for me to bear so I end up running around under the water for a while. While I’m running around, three friendly spiders and a couple lizards were nice enough to join me. The worms, cockroaches, spiders, ants, and crickets surrounding me do not faze me anymore. The other day I even had a cockroach crawling all over my neck and just brushed it off. Cassie has a phobia of them so I think we’re all glad it landed on me and not her. After my shower I continued to write my notes and draft some email for the Internet tomorrow! Today was a great start to the week but I can’t wait for tomorrow! Tuesday’s are my favorite day because it’s filled with emailing friends and family, yummy fried rice, and market shopping.
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment