Home

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 45 Half Way Point!


I walked into the clinic again during rounds and met up with the staff. I came in towards the end so everyone was going back to their offices and work. I spent most of the day in Isaac’s office and alone really. He kept leaving to go all over the clinic leaving me to keep myself busy. I pulled out my computer and began doing my Women’s Health coursework. I didn’t get too far before Isaac came back in with patients and I felt weird having my computer out in front of all of them so I put it away. Isaac then asked if he could look at my phone and went through all of my photos. That seems to be the popular activity this week. On Sunday all of the girls did the exact same thing but I was more embarrassed with Isaac looking through them because he asked about every single photo and watched even the embarrassing videos I have of my friends. Around 1:30 Cassie came in to get her cut treated. I had my friends Abiba and Gladys dress the wound for her. It was about 2:15 by the time we were finished but her mom said to take the pill and wait by the clinic for at least an hour. So I went to talk to Vicky for a while. She’s leaving on Saturday and I am so sad that I won’t see her for almost a month. She is so sweet and remembers everything I tell her going on in my life. It’s the best having a mom away from home checking up on you. Thanks Vicky! We went to get water for Cassie to take the pill and I was pretty hungry so I unsuccessfully went to look for lunch. I walked back to the clinic and sat on the side of the road for half an hour with Cassie making sure she didn’t have any allergic reactions to the medication. After we waited at the clinic for 45 minutes we walked home because Lauren and Jackie were waiting for us at our place. Cassie and Lauren left to go to dinner and interview their friend Pat. Jackie and I decided to cook dinner and made this absolutely delicious rice. We put tomato sauce, beans, onion, and garlic seasoning together over rice. It tastes like Spanish rice. After about an hour or so of cooking and talking we went inside and watched friends. We finished the last few episodes of season 5 together so I gave her the disks to watch with Lauren. We talked for another 45 minutes before deciding we’ll try to meet them at the market so they weren’t leaving too late.  I got on my workout gear but only did a 15-minute workout because I was pretty tired. I just lay there just thinking my day and everyone back at home. I don’t allow myself to think about home during the day and focus on what’s right in front of me. I love Ghana and everything I am learning about others and myself but sometimes it’s hard to be away from family and friends for a long time without much communication. I do not know how missionaries do this for 2 years. After another cold shower I went inside to finish up notes but had a really hard time falling asleep again.
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment