Home

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 50



It was still raining when I woke up so I slept in a little longer knowing I can’t walk through the rain to the clinic. Once it did let up, I made my walk to the clinic. I only got 2 marriage proposals and confessions of love on my way to the clinic. I went straight into the dressing room and helped one of the nurses make cotton balls while watching the chief dress different wounds. I pulled out my computer and made a couple pages of notes about the procedures. After an hour of being in there we were finished so I moved into the dispensary. I talked to Rita for about an hour and recorded notes in my journal until Isaac came in. He said he needed some help with recording and that I should help out today. I love helping Isaac out because it makes the day go by SO much faster and I get shadowing hours in. It’s really a win-win situation. Today there were the usual 100 cases of uncomplicated malaria with the occasional accompaniment of UTIs and RTIs. The cutest baby came in today full of giggles. She laughed at every noise and face you make. Isaac is really good with the kids, which is always a great trait for doctors to have. We spent the next couple of hours with the patients and then my new favorite person came in. Her name is Serwaa Ama. She is this small 78-year-old woman hunched over with old age and full of trouble. She came in and although I didn’t understand the conversation just her actions alone were cracking me up. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed that hard at the clinic. She wouldn’t answer Isaac’s questions and give him a sort of ‘well, duh’ expression on her face. She started shaking her finger at one point and then started cracking up as she glanced over to me. Her laugh was so contagious. She knew exactly what she was doing to try to upset Isaac and would look over at me every time and wink.  At one point she even started ringing the bell to see what would happen. Isaac was laughing too and it truly made my day. Another lady came in with her 8-year-old grandson and told him he is going to marry me. I told her he is too young for me because I’m 20. She said it’s perfect; I can train him until I marry him. The stream of patients seemed never ending until it started pouring down rain. The second it started raining Isaac said ‘Oh-no, we’re going to starve’. I don’t think I’ve had funnier things happen to me in one day at the clinic. The line of patients finally started slowing down until we were finished around 3. I packed up my stuff and walked home. The first girls I ran into kept harassing me for my clothes or money to give them. I just thought, oh no, one of these days. I was leaving the clinic around the same time the Salvation Army School was closing. There were swarms of kids on either side of the street walking home. I ran into a group of kids that stopped me asking what my name was and how old I am. The kids were all my height at only 11 years old so I don’t blame them for constantly calling me small girl. I had a nice conversation with them and other people on the street. I came home and warmed up some rice for lunch and recorded my notes and journal for the day. I also watched a couple episodes of friends, which always makes my day great. Cassie and I made ground-nut stew over rice for dinner and made enough to last us until the trip. We had quite the feast with our groundnut soup rice and fried plantains and lemonade. Cassie and I started talking about the fun things we’ve done while at school. She knows so many amazing places in SLC and Provo I really need to have her make a list of places to go for me. We continued the conversation and a million other topics for the next few hours. I am a huge fan of late night discussions and debates so I love it when we really get into our conversations. I was so thankful today for the little things that made me smile. I couldn’t think of a single pit throughout the entire day. I couldn’t help but smile thinking about my new friend at the clinic and the funny conversation I had with Cassie. I have my grateful glasses on all the time, which seems a bit ironic to me at times. When I first got here I kept thinking how blessed my life in America was but now I realize how blessed I am to be here. I didn’t need to come to Ghana for any reason in particular except I just thought it would be a neat experience for me. Little did I know how much change I would experience in such a short amount of time. I still have my troubling times where I wish this would all end soon but it’s days like this where I don’t want to think of ever leaving. When in my life will I ever get to walk through the streets waving at strangers that know my name with the most contagious smile. Sometimes all I need to make my day better is a smile from a little baby or an old grandma greeting me. The Lord truly knows us and never forgets us. I have a strong testimony of it.
XOXO
AMA

No comments:

Post a Comment