Home

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 48


This morning I woke up around 6 and got ready to spend the whole day in Kumasi for one of the Nurses from the clinic. I was told to meet at the clinic right at 7 so we could leave on time. I have definitely learned that 7 could mean 9 but I came on time anyways. When I arrived to the clinic they were fixing the car. Not a good sign. It took about 45 minutes to figure out what was wrong with the car before we were off. I rode in the car with Captain and Vicky, and the other staff members rode in the ambulance or bus that was arranged by the bride for transportation. Vicky and I talked non-stop for the next 2 ½ hours. There was a lot of traffic there so we had a long time in the car to chat it up. We talked about almost everything from religion to family to TV shows. I told her all about my family and realized how special our bond really was. I didn’t realize till right there that my family really made sure we grew up close to each other. It made me realize how much I really miss them! Although Vicky is seriously is the coolest fake mom ever and I am going to be so sad to see her leave! We were the first to arrive at the Presbyterian church around 10:30. We were handed the program where we realized the time was changed to 10 due to the funeral that was earlier in the day. We knew that it was going to be a very long day right then. They were only beginning to put up decorations around the outside. Vicky and I admired the church for a while and then sat down in the comfy pews. She told me that she knows that churches need to be beautiful and marvelous but you wonder why they spend their money on the building when you people around you greatly suffering. There was a beautiful painting of the last supper for the focal point with crosses on either side. This led into the discussion about Mormon temples and churches. I explained that our churches are nothing spectacular and need to be updated if anything. We don’t have crosses on our walls because we like to rejoice in the life of Christ and not his death. I told her how temples are for those who have made a covenant with the Lord and that is where we get married and perform Holy Ordinances on this earth. It was really nice to have a religious discussion with someone because I’m getting a little rusty at explaining the basics to people. The chapel was filling up a bit more but not nearly as much as it should be. It got to be around 11:30 and all of a sudden the wedding song started playing and the wedding party was walking down the aisle. The church still was very full but I guess they wanted to start anyways figuring the guest would just show up during the ceremony. The ceremony happened pretty quickly with vows, rings, and kisses exchanged. Throughout the program people were getting up and taking pictures of the groom and bride. Some guests were standing directly in between the preacher and couple to get a couple candid photos before sitting down again. Vicky said that she wished she could go up and there so I said why not, ‘I’ll do it!’ I got up and took pictures along side some of the other guests. There was a lot of singing and dancing throughout the ceremony, which really made it remind you of the joyous occasion it is. The preacher then gave a 30-minute sermon on marriage and how only with God it is possible. He was very energetic and loud with his words. He did most of it in English so Vicky and I didn’t need to use a translator at all. Vicky and the captain had to leave to go to Accra so they left after the sermon. I walked her out to the car and hugged her goodbye. I am really going to miss talking to Vicky and bringing her on our adventures with us. She’ll be back a couple weeks before I leave so I will be able to see her again thankfully. The rest of the wedding was donations for the bride and groom and A LOT of singing and dancing. At one point a lady came up to me so she could get a photo of me with her daughter. It’s times like this where I honestly feel like a celebrity. Her daughter was terrified of me so I had to sneak up behind her while her mother snapped the photo. The next hour or so was spent dancing in our spot and taking pictures of the ceremony. We all ventured outside after the bride to take photos and grab some lunch to go before leaving. The battery in the ambulance was still faulty so while they were figuring out what to do with the car I grabbed a piece of the wedding cake. They put the cake on a tray on a random car and started chopping up the cake into little pieces. It was this delicious carrot cake with raisins in it. I headed back to see what the situation with the car was. The driver decided we needed to push the car down a ramp so it can get going. I helped push the car and while I was pushing about 6 other men joined and the other woman had disappeared. We got the car downhill and started up in no time. I knew it would probably happen again but I was only hoping it wouldn’t happen while we were uphill somewhere. About 30 minutes into our trip we stopped to get gas where the car stalled out again. The men got out and pushed it to get it going again. The driver drove the car just like a 16-year-old with a brand new license and stick shift car. It was so jerky sometimes I fell out of my seat a couple times. Then about an hour into the trip we were in the middle of traffic and the car stopped again. We all laughed as the men reluctantly got out to push the car. We are lucky there were so many men in the car so we didn’t have to get out and push again. It was about 4 by the time we got to Wiamoase. I walked home quickly as it was drizzling. It’s always scary walking home with a dark sky because it could start pouring sheets without much warning. I got to the house about 30 seconds before the rain began and was pleasantly greeted by all of the other girls and Cassie’s friend Sammy all making crepes for dinner. We have made crepes before and absolutely love them. It is one of the few identifiable recipes we have figured out we can make. While the crepes were being cooked, we decided that it would be a good idea to shower in the rain. No regrets, it felt amazing. We stood underneath a waterfall of rain coming off the house and got out shampoo and conditioner. We ended up getting completely soaked but had fun doing it. Sammy thought we were absolutely crazy but thankfully Jackie explained that this isn’t normal for us. We dried off a bit and ate our yummy Nutella and banana filled crepes.  Sammy actually enjoyed them. It is usually too sugary for Ghanaians to handle and lately it’s becoming a bit too sugary for us too. We spent the next couple hours sitting around and talking. Somewhere in the night Jackie ended up giving Lauren a haircut while we cleaned up. The girls stayed for a bit more before going home before it got too late. We walked them to the taxi station and then went home.
XOXO Ama

No comments:

Post a Comment