Home

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 33


This morning after rounds I followed Abiba into the dressing room and only did a handful of dressings before it was time for us clean up. We took the trash out to the awful pit again. We went back into the dressing room to finish up cleaning and I got the chance to find out more about Abiba. We sat there making cotton balls out of a big sheet of cotton and folding gauze ads while I learned that she is one of six kids and has a boyfriend that she’ll probably marry. She is Muslim and her dad has 2 wives. While we were talking a girl around 14 came in with a gash on her left leg from a cutlass. I watched as they put 5 stitches in her knee without any anesthesia. I stood at her head holding her hand and at times holding her down from flailing around because of the pain. Once we cleaned up from the mess we went to antenatal to do vitals but there were already enough hands so I finished my book and made more notes. I wanted to sit in on the Chief’s consultations because he and Isaac are very different in methods. Isaac is more modern in his methods because he is right out of PA school but the Chief has to be up in his 70s at least so his methods are a little more old school. I was only there for about 30 minutes before he sent me home because it was about to rain and he didn’t want me to get caught in it. Well that was a bad idea because probably the second I left the clinic it started pouring. I first ran into about 40 school kids with about 30 more running to greet me. I knew I needed to get going before it got worse but it only took about 30 seconds before it turned into almost flood like rain. The sewers were getting pretty full already and everything was muddy. Afo and a couple other kids held my hand was we were walking home in the pouring rain. Everyone who saw me kept yelling brah (come) but I really like the rain and wanted to keep walking in it. I am actually glad I didn’t take shelter somewhere because it rained for about 3 hours straight without any let up. Who knows where I would have been trapped. I didn’t realize how wet my books had gotten and my notebook was totally ruined. I laid out my books and tried to get a few pages dry while I made eggs in a basket for myself. I tried to take a quick nap while it was quiet but Cassie came home with Lauren so I got up. Jackie was already in Agona and we all thought it would be nice to go and check our emails and have an extra day in the Internet CafĂ©. On the taxi ride over Jackie called and said the power was out in Agona too so we just got our ‘fast-food’ and drank cokes at the bar. The power came on while we were at the bar and we were hoping that meant power was back in Wiamoase too because it’s already hot enough with our small ceiling fan going. Once we returned I was able to do another great workout. Whenever I did exercises on my back I just looked up and saw the beautiful full moon above me. I sat there for 20 minutes after my workout amazed at the beauty that surrounds me. This earth that we get to live on is truly a wonder of beauty. As I am getting more used to everything around me I even start to look past the beautiful hills that surround me but if I take a second to stop and look it takes my breath away. Some parts of the village look like Jurassic park so beautiful and untouched. I was so at peace thinking about all of this until 30 bugs decided it would be a good idea to attack me at the same time, some landing in my mouth and nose. Needless to say I got up pretty quickly and went to take a shower. Cassie and I were pretty beat from our days and both said we were going to go to bed really early but one thing led to another and we were up talking until almost 12! We both couldn’t believe how much we’ve learned about others and ourselves since being here. We are both very excited for what the next 2 months hold for us!
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment