Home

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 41


Day 41
This morning I woke up and did my washing. I am getting a lot better at it so it doesn’t take as much time as it used to. I finished right in time to get ready and leave for the wedding! Cassie and I wore our African dresses and left around 10:30 because we knew wedding started at 9:30. These things never start on time; we learned that one pretty quick. Jackie and Lauren work with the bride Priscilla and she said that it was a traditional white wedding with cake and everything. I think we were mainly excited about the cake. Even in Africa we will do anything for a free meal. When we got there it hadn’t begun so we just sat around and waited. The next 4 ½ hours were long but very joyous. There was a lot of dancing, singing, more dancing, more singing, and nice hug between the bride and groom. The Presbyterian church doesn’t allow kissing between the bride and groom as that should be done in the bedroom. The part that surprised me the most about the wedding was the audience walking right up to the bride and groom to get pictures. It made it hard for us to see anything that was going on but I guess we just needed to get up and stand in the middle of the ceremony like everyone else. About 3 hours in we started to fade from hunger. Cassie left earlier while we just sat there waiting for the next part of the program, hopefully the cake cutting. We finally got up and ventured out in Agona looking for food. We saw Mama Doris who looked stunning. We didn’t even recognize her at first because she was wearing clothes with her nice wig and sunglasses. Both of our fried rice places were closed but Mama knew of another place to get it. It was at a bar we pass every time we walk to the Internet Café. The Europe Cup was going on so the place was crowded with people watching the game. We ordered our rice and each got a drink. The rice was pretty tasteless but better than the rice loaded with shito, which makes it too spicy to taste anything. We finished up and went with Mama to meet some of her friends. One of her friends asked me for my hand in marriage. Mama said it was ok and she would bring me for him tomorrow. He was very drunk which made the whole experience funny. We then went into a house right next to the church where they were handing out fried rice plates. I guess that’s what we get for not being patient enough. We decided to take the rice home to eat for dinner. We got in a couple of pictures with the bride and groom and then headed home. I came home and worked out for 45 minutes and showered. I read my coursework until Cassie came home. We heated up our dinner and sat around and talked for a while. We both wanted something sweet so went out in the town to see if we could buy sweet bread. We first went to Nana’s to buy water and after dropping it off at the house we went into the market place. Both places that normally sell it were all out. Cassie saw a pharmacy where she could buy multivitamins and I saw Najo and all my other little friends. We danced azonto for a little bit before Cassie and I walked home again. We stopped by Kwame’s shop and I got a Milo (chocolate milk) for breakfast tomorrow and some chocolate graham crackers. I did some more coursework and fell asleep.
XOXO 
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment