Home

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 72



I woke up earlier than most Tuesdays so I could actually get a few hours in at the clinic before going to meet the other girls in Agona. Edmund, Rita, and Elvis were all working today. I interviewed Edmund and Elvis for my research and they gave me so many great answers. I did a free-list and asked them why they think parents bring their children to a clinic. They both made some excellent points that I can add to my research. Rita fed me some delicious rice with spicy red tomato sauce. There was so much rice that when she gave it to me around 9 I couldn’t eat all of it so she told me I could save it and eat it later. About every hour on the dot she would tell me to eat more rice so by the time it was 12 I had finished off about 3 cups of rice. I was so full I could barely move. I left right at noon to meet Cassie at the station to go to Agona together. We got to Agona and we were both pretty sick of rice so we opted to just get a drink at the bar. On the way to the bar I saw a woman with a glass case on her head filled with, what looked like, chocolate powdered donuts. We were both curious as to what it was so I bought a couple to try them. A lot of confusing conversations occurred all at once and I ended up with a bag of the mashed up donuts mixed with sugar, water, and milk. We continued walking to Nana’s bar and ordered Alvaros. I’m glad I waited to get my drink before trying my snack because it was disgusting. It was a ginger porridge with chunks of ginger floating around in the milk and water mixture. The other girls also tried it and agreed it was not as good as it looked. We sat around and talked for a while before going to the Internet Café. We got power last night for a bit but this morning it was off again. The Internet café has a generator so we could still use the computers thankfully. I had a ton of emails from my family. It’s getting to the point now where we are all pretty anxious to go home and see our family. I posted to my blog, wrote back emails to friends and family, and then had to leave quickly to pick up my skirt from a seamstress down the road. She had to go to her mother’s house soon so Jackie and I left our computers there and went to Mama Kates house. I was pretty bummed because my mom had just gotten on facebook chat and chatting to someone is so much better than our back and forth emails. We walked as fast as we could to Mama Kate’s house but soon found out it didn’t matter how fast we walked to her house because she still wasn’t entirely finished with my skirts. We got there and she was still sewing part of one of my skirts. I had them made 5 weeks ago with the intention of wearing them to church. We only have a couple Sundays left but thankfully I think I can wear them back home. One of them is not too cute but with alterations I’m sure I can wear it just fine at home. We walked back to the Internet Café and found that the network had cutout and probably wouldn’t return. We waited around for about half an hour but the network wasn’t coming back on anytime soon so we left for the market. I was pretty bummed that I didn’t get to return to chat to my mom but I hope I’ll be able to talk to her next week! I bought bananas, bread, and a fan-choco before hopping into a taxi. I came home at 4 with a splitting headache, popped some Excedrin, and took a nap. Kofi and Kobi came over at some point to play with me but I was so tired I just gave them a sheet of stickers and sent them home. I woke up at 6, got on my workout gear and did one of my workouts from my Nike Training App. I only did a 15-minute workout because I felt pretty sick still. Our water or power wasn’t working so I had to wipe off with some baby wipes. Cassie and I watched The Proposal after my workout. After the movie we sat and talked for a bit before doing our research and coursework. I intended to go to bed around 10 or 11 like usual but I couldn’t fall asleep at all. I just lied in my bed endlessly thinking of what I could to finally fall asleep. It was getting later and later and I still wasn’t asleep. It was about 4:30 when the neighbors and roosters woke up. The goats started bleating and the roosters started crowing making it next to impossible for me to fall asleep. People around our house were wide-awake before I remembered that I had sleeping pills I could take. I debated not sleeping at all and just going to the clinic but decided against it. I took the pill at 5 but still didn’t fall asleep until 6 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment