Home

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 61


This morning it was still raining so my clothes still had yet to dry. I wore the exact outfit I wore yesterday and went to the clinic. Today I spent the whole day in the dispensary with my friend Gideon. He is a nice looking young man that wanted to teach me everything about the dispensary. He told me that the girls last year helped him record everything and dispense and that he wanted me to help him out too. I started out first just recording the patient name, insurance number, and drugs prescribed. I quickly learned that and he let me move onto fetching the right drugs for him to dispense. There are over 200 drugs there that are not alphabetized or even grouped into categories so it took me a lot longer to figure out where the right drugs were. I did learn pretty quickly where they were and then Gideon let me start actually dispensing them to the patients. He translated for those who didn’t speak English but still let me dispense them. I was really nervous at first but once I did a few, I shook out all the nerves and loved keeping busy all day. It was around 2 and I didn’t want to leave but I had to go the bathroom and there was no way I was going to use the clinic bathroom so I went home and told Gideon I would be back tomorrow. As I was walking home, every man in Wiamoase wanted me to stop and talk with him but I really had to use the bathroom so I told them I would be back later to talk. I was almost home before I ran into Cassie at our friend Steven’s Coco shed. She invited me up to talk to them and they gave me corn to take home. I walked home with Cassie and finally got to use the bathroom. We really wanted to go to the town park to see what events were happening so we ate a few of our delicious Obama biscuits and went into town. Cassie’s friend Baron was on the way to the town park so we stopped and talked to him. He told us the town park sports events were over for the week so we stayed and talked to him for a bit. Baron looks like a Ghanaian version of Barney from the Flintstones. He can’t be any taller than me and has a stocky build. He told Cassie to wait on the porch while he went into his coco shed and retrieved a present wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper with Cassie’s name on it. Cassie unwrapped it and it was a customized kente strip of fabric that said “From Asante Baron to Cassie”. I couldn’t believe how sweet of a gift that was. He asked me to write down my name so he could have one made for me too. Cassie was so shocked at his gift but he acted very bashful. We left his shop and went home. I don’t know what was different about today but almost every drunk man in Wiamoase decided to follow us home. If you ignore them long enough they’ll leave you alone except for one man. He would follow us back to America if he could. He just shouts at us until we finally turn around and tell him he has to leave us alone right now. We usually end up going into a shop so the shopkeeper can shoo him away. Once we got rid of him, we went home so I could workout and take a shower. For dinner we had our tomato stew over rice with avocado. It tasted like we were eating red sauce over rice since we didn’t cook them together. We have plenty of the sauce left over for tomorrow’s dinner so hopefully it’ll be much better. It started to pour again but I got half of my clothes off the line so I at least had different clothes to wear tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment