Home

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Journal Post #19

In class on Wednesday we had a great discussion from the whole class. I loved the Question and Answer forum we had. I was really impressed with the facilitators stories and how they handled their worst situation while out in the field. I know that there will be many unforeseen experiences in Ghana. I have always been one to go with the flow but at times I know that there are situations that will just drain me physically and emotionally. I have had many days like that in my short college career. I think it is a good idea to write down exactly what could help me out on my bad days when my mind is so clouded and I have no idea what I am doing there. Although I won't post the more personal things I'll post generally what I do to handle situations

1. Why am I in Ghana?
I am in Africa for the experience. This experience will be beneficial to me for the rest of my life. In the Fall I will be starting my Athletic Training Major and a main part of that is dealing with Athletes one on one and taking charge. In Africa I will learn to be independent and learn how to better build rapport. The skills I will learn in the Field will be extremely beneficial in my Nursing career. I want to be a NICU nurse and taking charge is a large part of the job. Another skill I will for sure learn better in the field is how to "go with the flow." Although I have always been able to do this, I feel my adventure in Africa will only further develop this skill.

Listen to music.
Music has the ability to change your mood on the spot. I am a huge fan of music and the impact that it has on me is tremendous.

Talk to someone
Don't "vent" to them just have a conversation with one of the girls or someone from my Host family with nothing related to my research. Get your mind off of it for a little bit.

Go for a walk
Go look at the town as long as it is safe. Take pictures while you're out.

Watch a Movie
I will bring a couple of my favorite movies to watch when I have down time.

Go to the orphanage
While in Ghana I am doing an internship at the orphanage. Kids are such spirit lifters for me. Just sitting and talking to kids makes me forget about all of my problems. As weird as it sounds, it brings me back to the more simpler times in life. Although comparatively the kids in Ghana go through more in their first few years of life than I will ever experience.

This list will definitely be added to in the future and I have already written down in my personal journal what other things I can do to lift my spirits to make my experience in Ghana the best it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment