Home

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Journal Post #16


On Monday we didn't have class so we could work on our IRB proposals. I hope I'll get approved the first time because those were HARD work! Now we have our research proposals due Friday and our tri-weekly  blog posts. I am seriously loving all the work we are doing for this class. I never thought I would hear myself say those words but by putting in all the hard work it helps me better understand what I'm going to be doing in Ghana and clear my head up a bit. This past week I have been in and out of Training Rooms for my Athletic Training Major pre-requisites so I haven't gotten much sleep lately. As I am in the training rooms I think of all the technology that has advanced over the years to keep athletes healthy. I was with baseball last week and they were doing ultrasounds on the arm and doing electrical stimulus to difference muscles. I was seriously so fascinated by everything that has been developed in the past 100 years. And then it got me thinking that only 40 years ago my uncle passed away from problem that nowadays could be fixed very easily. So if our medical system has been able to progress that quickly, what makes us think that these under-developed countries will always have the state of health care that they have? Through my research of Ghana specifically I know that there are doctors and nurses always over in Ghana teaching new methods to medical professionals there. Their want for knowledge is so great it almost makes me embarrassed on the days I don't go to class or don't pay attention in class. I am taking my education for granted sometimes when others in the world would do anything to sit inside of a classroom much less attend a university. I have such a unique opportunity to attend Brigham Young University and be taught in an educational and spiritual manner. "I would learn the healers art" is the theme for the Nursing College. I would imagine that is how many people in Ghana feel. The religious make-up of Ghana is 63% christian. Ghanaians tend to be very traditional and culturally minded people. Throughout my research I would imagine that I would be able to relate to them with my religious background. I know I am not in Ghana for any religious purposes at all, but it will be fun to attend church there and see the similarities and differences between teachings in countries.
The post today was a lot of my thoughts just rambling out onto the page but I can't get Africa out of my head! I think about it 24/7 and love doing research for it! I am fascinated by their medical care, traditions, family dynamics, market system, and compassion. I don't feel like I'll ever be prepared to go to Ghana but I'm hoping I will be able to wrap my self around SOMETHING before I leave. I have an AWESOME AWESOME  Field facilitator Jackie that is so patient with me and my craziness. I don't think I would have continued with any of this if it weren't for the girls and the prep- class. So as I go through the rest of this week still constantly thinking about Africa and what it will be like over there, I hope to be able to step back and realize how truly blessed I am and not take the health care system, education, or safety I have here for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment