Home

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Journal Post #14- Reciprocity



In class on Monday we listened to an interesting report on Stephanie Sinclair who had been with a group of FLDS individuals living in a polygamy compound. She reported not on her opinions or views of the FLDS group but more of the events that went on in the compound. At first the group was very apprehensive to letting a photographer into their lives and revealing them with all the current media going on. The group took a bit to warm up to the idea of a photographer following them around and asking questions on every little thing that they did. The group was aware that the world thought they were weird and had many pre-conceived ideas about what went on behind the doors at the polygamy compound. What I really took away from Stephanie Sinclair's report was that she went there not to advocate but to enlighten. Her access was limited but over time she build rapport and trust and access was eventually granted, even into a sacred ordinance such as a funeral. A big factor for Stephanie Sinclair's success was her balanced reciprocity. There are three types of reciprocity; balanced, generalized, and negative. Balanced reciprocity occurs when someone gives to someone else, expecting a fair and tangible return - at a specified amount, time, and place. Generalized reciprocity is the exchange of goods and services without keeping track of their exact value, but often with the expectation that their value will balance out over time. Negative Reciprocity is the exchange of goods and services where each party intends to profit from the exchange, often at the expense of the other. In my own life I already perform each of these three reciprocity levels. Balanced reciprocity occurs in daily life. I pay $5 to Subway and get a meal in return. Generalized reciprocity happens between my friends and I all the time. If someone forgets their wallet or if we go on a friend date and pay for each other, we usually don't remember the exact amount but instead take that person out to replace the money paid on the last outing. The last reciprocity is negative. This is more similar to a bartering system which I am not completely familiar with but understand a little bit about. We barter with our siblings at a young age. We trade one piece of gum for a 20 minutes on your older brother's Nintendo 64. Who is to say that is fair? It is more about how you feel on the trade. The brother looses 20 minutes of playing time but gains gum to chew. The little sister looses her precious Bubbalicious gum but gets to play 20 minutes of mario kart for fun. It isn't equal at all and not even comparable but works for the siblings. There is a lot to learn about reciprocity and its values but through recognizing it in my own life I can see that I use it on a daily basis. Right now I am loosing time with friends but gaining education to help me in life. This is generalized reciprocity. In Ghana I don't know what kind of trades I'll do in the market, with my time, or between my interviewers but if I do research now I can make balanced reciprocities and hopefully not have imbalanced relationships with those I live with or survey. Ashley mentioned that even giving too much could be a problem. You don't want to show up your family but want them to understand your gratitude to them for letting them stay at your house. This is where balanced reciprocity is imperative to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment