Home

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Journal Post #17

In class yesterday we discussed Ghanaian art and religion. I love art of other cultures. The part that fascinates me the most is the use of symbols in their art. I loved Katie's presentation of the pictures she took in the sanctuaries and how art is a large part of African culture. I researched a bit into the art and found out that the Adinkra symbols are part of a rich African tradition and originate from Gyaman - a former kingdom in today’s Ivory Coast. The stunning motifs were developed by the Asante people of Ghana who evolved the unique art of Adinkra printing cloths, made and used exclusively by royalty and spiritual leaders for sacred ceremonies. The meaning of each symbol derives from a proverb, history, events, human attitude, animal behavior, plants and shapes of inanimate and man-made objects. 


The Adinkra tradition continues to flourish in modern times and the number of symbols continues to grow. In contemporary Ghana, the symbols and their meanings are still very much used to convey a message through a wide range of products and crafts, including clothing accessories, interior design, carpentry, architecture etc.

I am going to print this out and paste it into my journal so when I'm out and about looking at the homes, sanctuaries, clothing, etc, I can identify the different symbols. Its almost an unspoken language. I feel as though an african woman wearing the strength symbol on her clothing is a way of expressing her strength and here in America a woman might wear a nice tailored pant suit and carry her self in a classy manner. The difference in cultures will always fascinate me. I hope I'll be able to understand the things I see in Africa and it won't all be a big blur!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely bring this with you! It will be really fun to go around and see how many of these symbols we can find!

    ReplyDelete