Home

Monday, March 26, 2012

Journal Post #18

Continuing my theme of Ghanaian art I wanted to go into Ghanaian dance. A few weeks ago we discussed the culture of Ghana and how dance is a big part of expression. I believe that is true for everybody in the world. Dancers have so much passion for their sport because it allows them to express what they can't in words. In Ghana I have found the same to be true. In Ghana a lot of dances also explain a story. Either the story is their life story or a history lesson. There are dances for funerals, celebrations, storytelling, praise, and worship. Some of the dances have names too. There is the bamaya, adowa, kpanlogo (azonto), klama, agbadza, atsiagbekor, atsia, bɔbɔɔbɔ, and agahu. 

This is a Bamaya dance in Ghana.

It surprises me still how similar and different cultures can be. We express our emotions through dance but in such different ways. We don't dance at funerals but Ghanaians do. We don't usually dance when we get our families together but that is normal for a Ghanaian family. The food is going to be unrecognizable to me, showers will be taken less often, communication will be difficult, and I will be confused a lot. BUT, this is what is going to make Africa the adventure I want. My experience in Africa will be one of a kind and only I can decide how I want my trip to be. I know there will be difficult days for me but I want to try to remember that my time there is limited and this is a VERY RARE opportunity that I am able to participate in. As I get closer and closer to leaving I am anxious, nervous, excited, terrified, shocked, and not prepared enough. I might have moments where I freak out but over all I know that I am blessed. The prep course has helped me tremendously and so has my amazing facilitator and other girls going to Ghana. 

33 days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment