Home

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Journal #4


In the past couple of classes we have talked a lot about field notes. Field notes should be written in the moment and about everything around you. We practiced this last week in the Wilkinson Center and it was really interesting. We were supposed to write strictly observational notes but it was interesting how I was writing something down and interpreting it. If someone was eating slow I interpreted it as they were not in a rush and not worried about getting anywhere soon. However, in a different country it may be rude to eat your food fast. It's important to remember that your notes have to be strictly observational and not throw in your own interpretation or opinion or this could cloud your research. Over the past week I can't get it out of my head and find myself trying to make strictly observational notes… IT'S HARD! 
I keep writing down things like "Subject is bored" when instead I should be writing down "Subject eating food slowly, not moving quickly, looking around the room." As time goes on I know that I will get better at this and understand that it will take a lot of practice. I'm glad that we did it now because it's really interesting and really fun to practice. 
On Saturday I went to my cousin's concert at Velour and did my participant observation there. It was really cool. My three cousins, sister, and I were talking after the concert and there were so many things that I was looking at it started to overwhelm me and I stopped talking. I AM A TALKER, so I could tell everyone was wondering why I was so quiet. I first noticed the body language, then physical appearances, then motions. It was awhile into the conversation before I started picking up on the pitches, loudness, and actual conversation. 
My cousin's and I are very close and spend every summer together so when we get together we are very casual and ourselves around each other. It was really fun to interpret some of their body languages and take a step back to really watch them and their actions. I keep thinking that I am going to need a lot of practice before I head out to Ghana and know that note taking will be much more difficult in a completely foreign setting with strangers. I need to spend more time developing this skill and hopefully get better at it. From everyone I talk to the people of Ghana are very welcoming and friendly so I can't wait to start my research and hope that I am able to network easily for my project to be successful. It still doesn't seem real but it is definitely on my mind every day and I am constantly looking around and thinking how this particular event would be like in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment