Home

Friday, February 17, 2012

Annotated Source- Culture


The prep class has stressed over and over again the culture shock that we will experience while there. I want to understand as much as I can before I leave. I know that you can't get the real deal from just reading a book so that is why I am so excited to go to Ghana!
1) Etiquette: We have talked about it before and it is very different from what I am used to. You should wait to be told where to sit, food is served from a communal bowl, and shoes might be removed. They wash their hands in a washing bin before the meal begins and you can't eat until the eldest male does so.

2) Greetings: A handshake with a smile is the best approach. Titles are very important. Make sure to use the correct surname and any academic professional titles.

3) Communication: Ghanaians are very forward with their comments. They do not want to cause any confusion in their message whether that's informing someone about a relative that passed away or declining an invitation. However, they make sure to do so in a way that will not harm their relationship with that person. They frequently talk in proverbs to show wisdom.

4) Family: There is a very strong bond of family in Ghana. Families give you your source of identity, loyalty, and responsibility. They share dignity and honor in the family so everyone is expected to uphold themselves at all times. With the Ashanti people, affiliation within the clan is through the women. Mother's have a higher status.

5) People: There are over 100 ethnic groups in Ghana. Their society is based on hierarchy. People are respected because of their age.

As I read this I am so fascinated with the difference in culture all over the world. It's interesting to see how even just from Utah to Texas is such a stark difference and yet we all still live in the same Country. I am slightly nervous but even more excited about the opportunity I have to experience a culture for three whole months. I have noticed through my readings that a lot of the initial meetings are dealing with rapport talk. I am a little too good at small talk, I talk A LOT.  I am so anxious to get out of America and see life through someone else's eyes.


The article can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment