Home

Friday, February 17, 2012

Journal- Cultural Differences #9



On Monday we were told where we'll be living and who we'll be living with for the next three months. I have the pleasure to room with Cassie in Wiamoase, and Lauren and Jackie will be living in Asamang. I have my plane ticket, living arrangements, and roommate but it still doesn't feel real! Seriously whenever someone says "I'm jealous you're going to Africa this summer" my first reaction is "Who Me?? Oh yeah that's right I AM going to Africa this summer". I can't even put into words the feelings I have. I am trying to do as much research as possible so I don't look like a complete fool when I get there.  My most recent article I read had to do with etiquette and cultural manners. I want to know their customs so I don't accidentally offend anyone. It fascinates me to think about the differences in 196 countries around the world and the thousands of differences within those countries. My life in Houston Texas is VERY different from my life here in Provo Utah. There is no way that you could ever capture the heart of America because there are literally millions of different types of groups in America. In Texas it is normal to own multiple guns, drive a truck with 4 mpg, and attend every HS football game. Now don't get me wrong, that is not even close to how every Texan is, but is seen to be quite normal. That got me thinking, there is no way that I can read about Wiamoase, Ghana and know for sure what kind of world I will be thrown into. I can have a little bit of a better understanding but it is only through actually experiencing Ghana that I will be have a better concept of it. If I only heard one person's view of how their Ghana experience was and took it for fact, I would be in a world of shock once I arrived. If the person I talked to got sick on day 1 and never recovered their experience would be a little less than desirable. They probably wouldn't recommend ever going again. On the other hand, if I talked to someone who lived in a mansion with running water and luxury amenities my view would be COMPLETELY distorted. I have to take everything with a grain of salt and remember that my experience will be unique and one of a kind. I will even have a completely different experience from the other girls even though we'll be in the same country at the same time. Cassie and I will even be living in the same house, and yet we will all have SO many different experiences. While in Ghana I can't experience a tenth of the differences in cultures there are but I'm ready for whatever Ghana has to throw at me. Spotty electricity, friendly people, noisy/ busy markets, language barriers, mosquito nets, no clean water… BRING IT ON. 

No comments:

Post a Comment