Home

Monday, February 27, 2012

Annotated Source- Mother's Education and Childhood Mortality 2

I was really interested in the last annotated source I did and wanted to do another post on it. I'm thinking I might want to incorporate mother's education into my research and go down that path. We'll see what happens.

This research had three different markers of child's health: infant mortality, child's height-for-age, and immunization status. The studies does show that although it is not a direct correlation, there is a strong positive correlation. Education is a good measure on the families socio-economic standing. The income affects where the family lives and that affects availability to clean water and clean water affects child's health. You get where I'm going with this.

So why does education matter in child's survival? Education has two major reasons. People with an education use health services more and result in a wide range of beneficial behaviors. Women who are educated pass along their knowledge to their posterity and brings about better individual behavior. This is all around us here in America. I am from Texas and we have an enormous amount of immigrants in Houston. The lady we use to clean our house is an immigrant herself. She never went to college and I don't even think she was able to graduate High School. When I got accepted into BYU she was absolutely thrilled for me and told me not to waste my time and to study all the time and never get a boyfriend and stay focused. :) She really wanted me to succeed and not be stuck without knowledge to get a high paying job. Marina, our house cleaner, has two children, Yolanda and Caesar. Yolanda is 18 and going to college in the Fall. Her mother worked as hard as she could so that Yolanda could go to school, graduate and move onto College. She knows the benefit of a college education and knows the benefits her children will receive. Marina is such an inspiration to me and her hard work to make sure that her kids receive a quality education and keep up with all of their school work.

The article goes further into the other countries that were used in the research and found it to be true in every region that the mother's education affected the children's survival.



The article can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment