Home

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Journal #3

On Monday I had my official acceptance meeting and it felt AMAZING… Oh the relief that came when I signed my name saying that I will be going to Ghana for three months. I still don't believe it's real. I keep telling myself over and over again that I WILL BE LIVING IN GHANA but it doesn't make it feel any less like an amazing dream and not real life.   
I spend every night before I go to sleep thinking about what it will be like in 88 days. It is honestly starting to worry me a bit. Each class we learn so much about how to cope with the culture shock and exactly what the Ghanaian culture is like but the fact that it is so unfamiliar to me is scary! Don't get me wrong I am still in the clouds about going to Africa but I know that there is A LOT of work ahead of me. Questions still boggle me everyday such as:

What will the showers be like?
What will I eat in Ghana?
What will electricity be like, if there is any?
 How will I collect my research
Where will I be living?

My research project is so cloudy and it worries me with each article I read if my research project is doable. I would like to compare the maternal care in the hospital/clinic to the rural village healthcare system. Now I'm starting to wonder if they are even different from each other. I understand that hospitals and clinics in Africa will be nothing like the ones here in the United States, but exactly HOW different are they? As I continue my research I need to find out now what clinics provide that a midwife/ doula can not. Which has the lower MMR rate. I would love to do Neonatal care so that is becoming more of an idea for my project but I understand the problems that could arise from researching infants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment