Home

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Oh so flattered… Journal #2

Today I downloaded a new app that has 1000 basic words and phrases translated into Twi. It so far has been extremely helpful! I can say very basic things
Good Morning- Maakye
Good afternoon- Maaha
Good night- Da yie
Goodbye- Nante yie
My name is Natalie- Me din de Natalie
I don't speak Twi very well- Mente Twi papa
(They really should translate "I don't speak Twi at all" for me)

All of these are very useful phrases that will help me to interact a bit with the people in Ghana. However, there are some not so useful but HILARIOUS phrases they have translated on here… 

Did the sun just come out or did you smile at me?
Awia na apie anaa se wosere hwee m'anim?

If beauty was a crime you'd have been in jail by now.
sɛ ahoɔfɛ yɛ bɔne a anka woda afiase dada.

I never believed in heaven until I saw you.
Na Mengye ɔsoro kɔpem sɛ mehunuu wo.

I will fall head over heels for the first man who repeats these phrases to me in Twi or English. Ok, totally kidding but seriously?! Why were these translated? In what country would these "pick up" lines actually work?
But in all seriousness I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity I have to go to Ghana and perform research on maternal and neonatal care. I hope I can throw some Twi words every now and then and maybe translate some of my interview questions into Twi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment