Home

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

HELLO ALL! Journal #1


A week ago today I had no idea what I would be getting myself into…
it has been a hectic week because I am applying to go to
 GHANA AFRICA!

As I finish up my application for Ghana I have found myself thinking about the possibilities all day. All my life I have had a desire to go to Africa. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but there is something about this great continent that makes me want to live there. I mean LIVE there like a house, family, and dogs in the yard. Probably not going to happen, but a girl can dream!  
I am currently enrolled at Brigham Young University studying Athletic Training. I am loving every minute of the major so far. When I first came to BYU last year I thought that I had my whole life figured out. Go to BYU, get a 3.8 GPA to be considered for the nursing program here, get accepted, finish that in three years, become a Neonatal ICU nurse and life would be bliss.
Funny how your plans NEVER work out the way you'd like them to. I have since had to change my major multiple times and have since decided Athletic Training best fits me while here at the Y. 
Another plan I didn't know that was in my path was Ghana. I was in my Athletic Training Lab and met a fabulous girl who introduced me to this idea and less than 24 hours later I was meeting with facilitators and going to classes to hopefully make this Field study possible. 
This Field Study allows students to pick out a project to complete while in Ghana for 90 days. I have not figured out the exact details but know it will deal with Neonatal Care and the cultural differences between Ghanaians and Americans. I understand I am not there to do any medical work but to just observe and be fascinated with the methods and differences of techniques. I do hope to one day go to Africa with my Nursing License and make a difference in the maternal and neonatal care.
As I continue this journey I hope I will be educated enough to prepare me for the long journey to Africa and the exciting adventures that lie ahead.

xoxo Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment